First, if you haven't already done so, make sure you enable keyboard shortcuts in GMail:
- Click on Settings
- In the General tab, the third option is "Keyboard Shortcuts" ... make sure to select "Keyboard shortcuts on"
- Scroll to the bottom and click "Save Changes"
- After changing your settings you may need to reload GMail (Press: [F5], or hit the Reload button on your browser)
Find a list of shortcuts
- From your inbox just press "?" (Question mark)
- A list of all available shortcuts appears on your screen
- From this screen on the top left you can open the list in a separate window if you want to print it out or keep it handy.
- Pressing any key will make the box go away.
Search without the Mouse
- Just press "/" to move your curser to the search box.
- Type in your search and press enter.
- When the search is returned you will be back in the list for navigation.
Jump to Chat Windows
- Press "q" to juump tp the chat window
- Type in the name of the person you want to chat with.
Start A New Email
- Starting a new email in GMail is called "Compose Mail" to do so, just press the "c"
- A new email message will be started in your current window
- If you would like to start a new email in a separate window just make a capital "C" (Shift-C)
Moving Up and Down The Message List
- Pay attention to the little black triangle to the left of the emails (►)... this arrow shows you which email is currently selected
- "k" and "j" are the letters you need to remember to move up and down your email list
- "j"-moves to older conversations, or down the list
- "k"-moves to newer conversations, or up the list)
- [Enter] will open the conversation you currently have selected
- "u" will return you to your list of emails